State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Security & Safety Officer 1 (PTO)
at State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio
STRS Ohio, STRS
The State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS Ohio) is seeking a part-time Security & Safety Officer to join its Security Department. Established in 1920 and serving Ohio’s educators, STRS Ohio is one of the nation’s premier retirement systems that provides rewarding work in a professional, business casual work environment and welcomes, celebrates and promotes respect for each individual. We are continually seeking bright individuals to join our team.
Compensation & Benefits:
STRS Ohio provides a comprehensive benefits package including free on-site parking, education assistance, subsidized medical insurance, fully paid dental and life insurance, vacation and sick leave, retirement benefits and an on-site fitness center.
Under the direction of the manager, Security and Safety, provide security for STRS physical and intellectual property and personnel against harm from fire, theft, vandalism, illegal entry or property damage. Maintain watch of facilities and equipment malfunction.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Greet visitors and direct them to the appropriate individual. May provide general information and directions.
2. Patrol building and grounds; including computer room and the Discovery Park on an hourly basis. Check doors and windows to determine they are secure.
3. Conduct surveillance of buildings and grounds through closed circuit television (CCTV) and other electronic systems.
4. Watch for and report irregularities and hazards, such as unlocked doors, property damage, leaking pipes, complete an entry on the daily log documenting the discrepancy and complete an incident report if needed.
5. Sound alarms as required. Confer with management when situations require immediate attention; call police and fire departments when required.
6. Complete a daily shift tour report.
7. Ensure all associates and visitors exit building safely in the event of a fire or other emergency requiring evacuation.
8. Provide emergency first aid; call emergency services when required.
9. Operate STRS-owned vehicles in accordance with duties and deliver vehicles to local service dealerships for maintenance. Deliver and pick-up documents and provide shuttle service as requested.
10. Patrol STRS parking garage on foot and with a golf-cart type vehicle.
11. Regulate vehicle and pedestrian traffic at entrances to maintain orderly flow.
12. Perform various inspections such as the weekly equipment inspection and the monthly fire extinguisher inspection and provide the documentation to the Department Manager and Team Lead.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. High school education and one year experience in building security or completion of approved course work in security and safety required.
2. Above-average oral and written communication skills to deal effectively in difficult or dangerous situations.
3. Interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively and courteously with associates and visitors.
4. Proficiency in the use of Windows-based computer software required.
5. Knowledge of, or ability and willingness to learn operation of, protection systems; (may require specialized training):
- Fire alarm and fire extinguishing equipment
- Security alarm system and surveillance cameras
- First aid, including CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and AED (Automatic External Defibrillator)
- Card key door control systems
- Public relations, including Professional Security Training Network (PSTN)
- Incident reporting systems
- Chemical mace
6. Maintain confidentiality of information.
7. Ability to climb stairs and provide physical assistance in removing individuals during emergency evacuations. Ability to pursue and/or physically remove individuals intent on causing harm. Ability to respond to visual and auditory alarms.
8. Valid Ohio driver's license and a safe driving record.
9. Excellent work record of attendance and punctuality; occasional evening, weekend and non- regular work hours required. Ability and willingness to work any shift.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the persons so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of associates under supervision.