City of Upper Arlington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant City Engineer
at City of Upper Arlington
Pay: $67959 to $95142/year
$67959 - $95142
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2335598
Overall Job Objective
- JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the City Engineer/Public Service Director, perform engineering work related to transportation engineering, commercial and residential development, construction of public works and related projects, and act as project manager for major engineering design projects. Provide assistance in long term planning, budget preparation, public relations, and contract management. The classification also provides technical support to other city departments, and performs the duties of the City Engineer in his or her absence.
- Examples of Duties
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: For purposes of 42 USC 12101:1. Manages and/or oversees design, public involvement, environmental, right of way, utility, bidding, construction, inspection, and close out phases of major capital improvement projects; prepares contracts, specifications, and legal notices for receiving bids and awarding contracts; prepares and evaluates RFQ process for consultant selection; administers consultant contracts; coordinates the schedule and progress of consultant's work including preliminary approval of invoices.
2. Serve as project manager for assigned complex and major engineering projects.
3. Leads the engineering team in plan review & approval processes of private commercial development & residential regulation compliance; assists other Departments within the City.
4. Prepare and review traffic studies and surveys, make recommendations for traffic control devices (per the OMUTCD) and traffic calming.
5. Technical expert to manage planning, design, permitting, and construction phase services on all water related projects.
6. Investigates resident requests for service (e.g., performs technical research; drafts written responses and provides telephone responses concerning transportation infrastructure, sewer and water, drainage, and other engineering-related issues).
7. Serves as City Engineer in his or her absence; prepares and presents reports to the City Engineer, City Manager, City Council, and Board of Zoning & Planning, assists with budget preparation; updates policies, procedures, and construction and engineering standards; researches, seeks, and administers grants.
8. Maintains licenses and certifications as required, if any.
9. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
10. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:11. Performs other duties as required. (5%)
- Typical Qualifications
- QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Civil Engineering, or a related field; minimum of four (4) years' related experience in transportation engineering or water resource engineering, commercial and residential project planning, project management, proficiency in AutoCAD, and at least two (2) years of federal, state or local government administration; or any combination of training, education, or experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Engineering Intern registration required; valid State of Ohio Driver's License and the ability to maintain insurability under the City's vehicle insurance policy.
Professional Engineer License (required to be obtained within one (1) year of date of hire) desired; Professional Traffic Operations Engineer, PTOE, desired.